Please follow these best practices to protect your household and home when using a portable generator: OPALCO Safety Matters: Generators
Basic generator safety tips
- Don’t connect your generator directly to your home’s wiring. This can be deadly to you and others.
- Never plug a portable generator into a regular household outlet.
- Don’t overload the generator.
- Use the correct power cords for the appliance load.
- Don’t store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
And be smart about using supplemental energy sources such as generators. Correctly wired into a home to provide automatic fail-over, they still require regular testing to make sure it’s power-outage ready. Consult a licensed electrical contractor to help you make the right decision for your home or business.
Some content on this page is saved in an alternative format. To view these files, download the following free software.
- PDF Documents: Get Adobe® Reader®