Community Programs Support
Youth Rally Scholarship
Students representing rural electric co-ops from western states – including Alaska. Electric co-op industry leaders and speakers.
Develop leadership and communication skills and make new friends through:
- Electric co-op speakers and presentations
- Field trips to state capitol and local sites
- Networking with students and faculty from Alaska, Oregon, Wyoming & Idaho
- Water park, social dances, roller-skating, bowling, volleyball, talent show
OPALCO makes all travel arrangements. Participants and OPALCO chaperones travel by air from Seattle to Boise and then travel by rental car to the College.
The Youth Rally takes place on the campus of The College of Idaho in Caldwell, Idaho. It is six days of fun-filled activity: July 10-15, 2023. Participants stay in college dorms.
All travel, lodging and food expenses are covered by The Nourdine Jensen Cooperative Youth Program. OPALCO handles all travel arrangements and provides chaperones for travel and the weekend.
Finalists are notified by email no later than April 27, and given an interview date and time on May 1st. Winners are notified by email no later than May 5th.
All complete applications are considered. A review committee made up of OPALCO members from throughout the islands selects up to nine finalists based on their application. Finalists are invited to a personal interview with the review committee. The interview covers topics such as personal goals, community involvement and knowledge of your local electric co-op. Sample questions are on web: https://www.opalco.com/ opalco-community/youth-rally-scholarship/.
- Submit an application before the deadline.
- Study www.opalco.com to get to know your co-op.
- Come to the interview prepared and well groomed.
- Have a genuine interest in this opportunity
High school sophomores and juniors of OPALCO member households.